Computer Glitch Kept me Away but Here's some of my Latest Work


It's been a week since I last blogged. I think I just needed a break from the cyber world. I was working on a film about handling mugs last weekend, when iMovie quit, and I lost everything. So, here's a few things I've been working on since. I'll be decorating the slipped pots with trees, I think.


I'm not sure about the handle on this bottle. I don't usually mess with adding that extra bit of clay to the bottom of the handle, but I was inspired to do so after looking at a handle on Michael Kline's blog (I tried to find the picture on his blog, but he must have taken it off or something.) The slip is a copper/cobalt porcelain slip. The clay in this and the next three pieces is my local clay, a very iron-rich clay.



This is a large soul pot. I'll be posting something soon on my soul pots. This pot is slipped with white porcelain slip with that copper/cobalt slip on top. I took a thin metal rib and lightly smoothed the white slip after brushing it on.



A largish jug with white porcelain slip brushed on the body. I like the handle on this jug, again adding a bit of clay to the bottom.



I bisque-fired these collaborative pieces last night that Phillip Pollet and I created. I also had some other pieces I made for the collaborative firing at the NC Pottery Center this weekend, including a giant pitcher that blew up. I think I fired the kiln too fast. Luckily, I had put a shelf above the large pitcher instead of stacking something else on top of it, so I slowed the firing down, soaked the kiln for a while (keeping it at a constant temperature) and continued firing.


Popular Posts