Slipping Cups


So, I threw 60-some cups and slipped them with some porcelain slip while they were still on the wheel yesterday.
Today, I decided I needed to brush on another layer of slip. I think I added too much water when I thought the slip was a little thick. I remember doing some
baby plates at Wild Rose Pottery years ago with my ex-wife and being
disappointed when the slip was too thin. I like seeing a little of the clay through
the slip, so it's a fine line between getting not enough slip and getting too much
slip on the pieces.

Just enough slip, I think....


By the end of the day, I had one board (about 15 cups) finished.
Two hundred and ninety to go. And then there's the 195 medallions and
the 18 plates for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for each race. I'm kind of excited about the plates, and kind of unsettled by the number of pieces I've got to make.

But this order has led me into new techniques and ideas, so I enjoy it.



Popular Posts