Saturday, June 5, 2010

Heat Helped us Today, I think.


Today was ridiculously hot as Levi and I worked shirtless in my uninsulated, partially refurbished chicken house workshop putting together six foot-soaking bowls after I spent the morning unloading the kiln and attending to other things around the shop. I had the goal of glazing three more bowls after finishing the bowls, but at 6:15 when we cut the last angle on the bowl, I just didn't have the energy. And a trip to Burrito Brothers in Asheboro was also on the agenda for the end of the day.

We had to work hard today because the heat was drying things out quicker than I wanted. But then again, I've got a deadline of the end of June to deliver 75 of these to a hotel in New York. So, the pressure to get it done today was good. But I don't see how I'm going to fire these three at a time every day and get them to New York. I guess I will just do the best I can do.

I am waiting on a new electric kiln to arrive to help with the firing. Meanwhile, the nearly 30 bowls we've made so far are in different stages of drying. And I don't want to push the drying.

I blew the feet off two bowls when I was firing prototypes a few weeks ago because I was pushing them to get them to an art consultant in Southern Pines.

A couple of potters have commented on my post below, wondering how this order came about. Being connected to the internet definitely helped, as well as the willingness to spend several weeks working on nothing but a single shape.

More details after I get some sleep. Thanks.
blog comments powered by Disqus