Rumors in Seagrove Suggest Peace is Coming



Whynot Pottery's cup on the right
and my cup on the left


Rumor in Seagrove is that hundreds of people will be coming to our community Saturday to purchase one or more of the couple hundred cups that potters have created to raise money for peace.

I'll be selling mugs in my shop and in the shop of potter Beth Gore at Cady Clayworks just down the road. After reading the book "Three Cups of Tea," Beth organized this effort to raise money for a foundation created by author Greg Mortenson to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan, a region of the world known for breeding terrorism.

All the proceeds from the sale of pottery for this event will be donated to Central Asia Institute, a nonprofit that Mortenson created 16 years ago which has built close to 180 schools. You can read a couple of stories about the effort here.

Mortenson's book "Three Cups of Tea" will be for sale at some of the potters' shops. I'm waiting for the postman to bring me my books which will be for sale. And I'm also waiting for my kiln to finish firing another 12 mugs that I created for this fundraiser. Each mug has an impression inside of a peace sign. Beth has 10 of the mugs at her shop which will be sold beginning Saturday.

My mugs - with the peace sign inside - represent inner peace, which I believe must come first before the world can experience outer peace. I suggest you pick up a copy of Mortenson's book, which just might lead you to experience some inner peace.

Of course, sipping a bit of tea and coffee from one of the cups from Seagrove Potters for Peace might help too.

Hope to see you Saturday.

Popular Posts