R.D. Mahan Kiln Opening, Turkey Roast


The first pot I threw for my new wood-fired kiln is displayed inside the kiln next to a picture of my father, who died of cancer in October, 1992. It seems appropriate to pay homage to him as it is he who gave me the determination and drive to manifest my dreams. So, come by and eat some turkey and Irish spuds during our R.D. Mahan Kiln Opening and Turkey Roast Saturday, Oct. 3.

As it so happens, Saturday is the wedding anniversary of Mary's parents. Her father died earlier this year, and we planted a tree near the kiln in honor of her father. My children bought the tree for Mary after we returned earlier this year from a trip to Ireland to attend the funeral of her father, Willie Holmes.

I believe some good pots are going to come out of this kiln. I tried to finish building it in time for the kiln opening, but ran out of time.

I will be opening my electric kiln Saturday with a variety of pots, but you'll have to wait for the wood-fired pots.



......................................


Mary's mother sent Mary a picture recently of her parents taken in 1962. They're the couple on the right. Yes, that's milk they're drinking. And much to Mary's surprise, they're both smoking a cigarette, which they didn't do, according to Mary. It was taken the year they married.

Popular Posts