My Rendering of some Table Pedestals


I'm always trying to make a better display of my pots when I go to a show, and the upcoming Celebration of Seagrove Potters Nov. 17 and 18 inspired me to create some different sized pedestals. I wanted to make some pedestals that I could collapse so they didn't take up a lot of space, as Mary and I like to take the Prius to shows if at all possible.

An evening of searching online led me to a site where I ordered four 8-foot lengths of "clear two-way corner channel joiners" from U.S. Plastic Corporation. Cost, $45 (includes shipping). I have some 2-foot by 4-foot sheets of Formica covered hardboard which are black on one side, and I was hoping to build the pedestals with these, cutting them to size. But they were too thick, so I ended up using them for the top of the pedestal and bought a 4' x 8' 1/4-inch plywood from Lowes Home Improvement, cost $20.

Here's a few pictures with the final one showing the three sizes of pedestals I made. I ended up making four 10 x 10 x10 cubes, six 6 x 6 x 6 cubes,  two 6 x 6 x 10 pedestals and one 12 x 12 x 4 pedestal before running out of channel joiner.


Here's a section of the Channel Joiner

A hacksaw easily cut through the plastic joiner

 
Plywood that I cut and stained. These are 10" x 10"
I painted edges of tops black to match the Formica

I added electrical tape on each joiner to hide a seam

I think the tape created a nice look.


So, I glued one Channel Joiner onto each piece of plywood, so that the pedestals can be pulled apart and stacked in a box and stored for later use. The top has four pieces of felt (one side sticky) placed underneath in such a way that prevents the top from sliding too much. I'll share a picture of the booth when we get it set up next Thursday for the Celebration. I also ordered some rubber mats online for the floor of the booth, three four-foot wide by 10-foot long mats. I've spent too much time on these pedestals. Levi and I are planning to fire the wood kiln Monday. I've been sharing pictures of pots on Facebook, but I've neglected the blog. I'll have to get back to sharing more on the blog.

Hope to see some of you at the Celebration.

Popular Posts