Friday, May 20, 2011

Bloating....


The wood kiln is unloaded, and while we got some fantastic orange-red shinos, we also got some fantastic bloating on some pieces - more than I've ever gotten in a load. Click on the picture below and you can see some of my boats, caused by gases expanding in the clay body and not being able to escape. Could be we overfired the clay. Could be we reduced (lack of oxygen) too early.

Much of the bloating is in my local clay, but this is the first time we've seen it in a clay we buy from STARworks, Okeeweemee 10 (a darker local clay mix). Most of the bloating in the STARworks clay occurred in the front of the kiln.

We reached cone 10 in the back of the kiln, the highest we've gotten the back of the kiln so far.

I'll be taking some individual shots today as I clean up the pots, and share them on the blog.



blog comments powered by Disqus