Feedback Inspires



Wood-fired vase, 18 inches high



The picture above got a lot of attention when I posted it (along with a host of other pictures from the latest firing) on Facebook: 48 shares or more, and more than 100 likes, as far as I can tell, and I'm still getting feedback.

Nothing like positive feedback to inspire. I unloaded this pot during our annual kiln opening Oct. 5. I fired the kiln a little different this time, with a long "reduction cool" at the end. I let the temperature drop to 2,000 degrees and sealed it up, then stoked small fresh pine branches - a few at a time - for five hours as the kiln cooled to somewhere between 1,600 and 1,500.

I'll be repeating the technique during the next firing in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm having fun with some new shapes. These are two-piece pots. The base is 10-12 pounds, the top, 4-5 pounds.

I'm including a few pictures from the last firing.

Three vases drying in studio, 18-20 inches high
Getting ready to lift one off the wheel
small bottle
Three small vases
Small vase
My high-iron local clay
My local clay
Three small jars

Popular Posts