I want some Snickers


Errol Delaney with a handful of clay and his Snickers pants - and me.

It's been two weeks since arriving in Ireland, and I'm finally starting to build my kiln. I began stacking concrete block yesterday. These Irish block are heavy, and I'm feeling it in my legs - all the bending over and lifting and bending over and setting down - over a hundred block. Then there was the bending over and lifting and setting down we did when we moved the block from out on the main road to the Amazing Pottery Shed at Mary's mother's farm. Driveways in rural Ireland are often too narrow for delivery with large trucks. We're waiting for delivery of another few pallets of hard brick for the kiln and two RSJs, iron H-posts used for building barns and sheds. We found an old brick plant in Castlecomer that went out of business and they sold us some hard brick and soft brick at a great price. Errol Delaney was the man that sold it to us. He also showed us around the factory and helped us scoop up some fireclay, shale and some unfired brick that was piled up outside. Internet service is scarce at Mary's mother's house, so I'm writing this blog on our way to Limerick where 3G service is better and my 3G "dongle" actually works. Mary wants to buy me a pair of nice pants. I want a pair of Snickers. Errol wore a pair. Work pants with pockets everywhere. "You'd have a tool box in your pockets when you get home," he told us with lovely smile on his face. Slainte.

Popular Posts