Frozen clay and fish in the kiln


It froze last night, so when I checked on my new batch of "organic" clay, I found some puddles on top and some interesting patterns from having froze overnight. This will actually help in the drying of the clay. I sopped up some of the water with a sponge and took a few pictures of the clay in the morning sun. I'm not sure I'll be able to get this batch of clay thrown into pots and fired for the Celebration of Seagrove Potters, but if not, then soon after. I've got a piece thrown from local clay in the kiln now with a couple of new glazes to try on the clay. I'm firing a collaborative platter in the kiln also. It's a large platter with mangrove trees stamped around the outer portion and Bruce Gholson's fossil fish in the middle.





Comments

cookingwithgas said…
The clay looks like something you could eat!
I love the natural texture-
klineola said…
It's great to be able to appreciate all of these stages of making pots. It's what keeps me "in the game" and makes it all worthwhile! I just found your blog via Samantha and Bruce. I look forward to reading more.
Michael Mahan said…
Thank you Michael for the comment.
I've been following your blog since Bruce and Samantha told me to check it out.
I enjoy checking out some of the other blogs you've got listed.
I'll keep in touch.

Michael
Ryan said…
I stumbled upon your blog by doing a google search on frozen clay... I am a new potter and I just had a few hundred pounds of clay delivered to my house frozen solid. I was worried this was ruined.... I suppose its not a disaster now since you seem ok with your clay being frozen....?

Popular Posts