Clay Painting - How to Display?


For the latest fundraiser for the NC Pottery Center in Seagrove, I was asked to draw, paint, sketch or otherwise adorn a 12 by 12-inch canvas. About 100 potters have been asked to create a hanging work of art like this, and the pottery center is giving them to the first 100 people to sign up to attend the fundraiser, held Oct. 28 at the Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary.

I opted to make my own paint out of some sources of clay I've acquired. I googled "how to make clay paint," and found a sufficient recipe (here) to follow. It uses wheat starch and chalk added to the clay. I had fun mixing it up in the kitchen.

I created five colors using four types of raw clay either I or someone else collected from Seagrove, Ohio and South Carolina, and a white porcelain clay from England. I'm ready to take it to the pottery center for display, but I'm wanting some input on how to display it. Here's four shots, each one rotated differently than the previous shot.

Which do you prefer?





Popular Posts