Back from Ireland and Back to the Clay


Mary and I got back from Ireland at 4 a.m. Friday. We were up for more than 24 hours, as our flight from JFK was delayed for hours. We were zombies for most of Friday, got a good night's sleep Friday night, and today Mary spent the day catching up on Seagrove Area Potters Association matters (annual meeting Sunday, 5 p.m. at the NC Pottery Center), and I spent the day making a new batch of local clay.

I'm planning to fire the new wood fire kiln in a couple of weeks, so I've got a lot of pots to make. My daughter is home for spring break beginning March 6 and hopefully will bring some pots with her. I'm planning to fire this load green (with pots that are not bisque fired), so that will give me a bit more time to make pots.


A row of bottles for the wood fire kiln
made by Levi dries on the shelves.


My son Levi is experimenting with varying amounts of my local clay added to several commercial clays: Orangestone, Loafer's Glory, Zellastone and StarWorks White (a blend of local clay made at StarWorks Ceramics).


Popular Posts