Preparations and pressure continue


There's no going back. I've committed myself. But I'm apprehensive about the transition from firing electrically to firing with wood.

Yesterday, I spent an hour or so stacking a pile of hardwood with my wife, Mary, thinking, "There's so much preparation with a wood kiln." I tried to get into the zen of stacking wood, but I just wanted to get it done so I could get back to my wheel and make some small pots for the first firing in my Manabigama. It's that time of year when I feel pushed to produce as much pottery in as little time as possible.

I've still got to cut shelves, figure out posts for shelves, complete the grates for the firebox....

Choosing the next pot for the bisque kiln. Pots above are bisque-fired, ready for a little glazing. Most will go in the kiln as is. Maybe some glaze inside, but I'm going to allow the kiln firing to do most of the decorating.


Loading a bisque kiln. I'm bisque firing all the pieces for this firing, but in the future I will be firing raw pieces. I just want to get a feel for the kiln first.


Stacking more wood



I need to add some pine to this and I'll be ready.


Popular Posts